How does a hotel manage all this when we have an ego-trip doing the recycling? With airport transfers in a hybrid limousine, a library, electric car hire and roof-top beehives obviously!
"At Alto Hotel on Bourke, we have made a commitment to a resource smart, environmental sustainable policy,' says General Manager Gary Stickland.
"With the help of our guests, suppliers, our committed management and staff plus a significant capital investment, we can make meaningful energy, resources and waste savings, therefore minimising our environmental impact. To stay true to our commitment we submit all our energy, water and waste accounts for benchmarking by " Earth Check" an independent assessor."
- Based on Green Globe - Earth Check assessment report Alto Hotel exceeds best practice targets by at least 50%.
- Alto purchases only Green Earth Electricity, which is generated from renewable resources.
- Rooms have energy saving key-card switch that turns off lighting and A/C on leaving the rooms.
- Rain & air conditioning condensation - harvesting tanks used for toilet cisterns, gardening and general cleaning.
- We have eliminated all plastic bottles for toiletries and installed practical and stylish refillable pump-action toiletry dispensers.
- All toiletries used are biodegradable.
- On site compost bin for all organic (vegetable) waste from the restaurant kitchen.
- Used cooking oil is collected and recycled into biodiesel.
- Electric share car from GoGet for guest use. Cheaper than a hire car as you pay only for the time you use.
- Free car parking for guests arriving in a hybrid or electric vehicles
- Where possible source products, especially food and beverages within the closest proximity to our location therefore minimising transport requirements and associated environment impact.