You're probably reading this from the comfort (and safety) of your bedroom. Here’s the things all introverts totally understand.
1. When you need to take a break and recharge after socialising for too long.
2. Not understanding the concept of boredom because you're so content with your own company.
3. You won't order food unless the restaurant has an order online option.
4. You watch your phone ring until it goes to voicemail because god forbid should you have to talk on the phone.
5. When you actually do go to a party, you spend the entire time on your phone, playing with the host's pet or hiding in the bathroom.
6. After spending the day with someone, you need to lie on the couch for several hours to recover from exhaustion.
7. You join dating apps only to delete your account every time someone asks to meet up.
8. When you have a crush on someone, you just literally don't acknowledge they even exist and hope they pursue you.
9. When people stop inviting you to things because they know you'll just say no.
10. You could never live in a share house because the thought of being constantly surrounded by people is enough to make you want to curl up and die.
11. You put off dealing with something for weeks because it requires making a phone call.
12. You've mastered the art of nodding and smiling along at conversations even if you're dying on the inside.
13. Self-serve checkouts are a magnificent invention.
14. Having visitors stay over at your place is a literal nightmare because it means you have to be on at ALL TIMES.
15. When you're asked to do a group project and you know that you'll hate every minute of it.
16. When you hear "are you okay?" or "why are you so quiet?" for the umpteenth time.
17. When people make you feel weird for wanting to do things by yourself.
18. You could easily go for a week without seeing or speaking to anyone.
19. But then you worry that you're turning into a hermit.
20. Who will probably die alone.
21. The overwhelming sense of joy when someone cancels plans at the last minute.
22. You've mastered the art of ghosting at parties.
23. When you're trying to fall asleep but then you remember that embarrassing thing that happened EIGHT YEARS AGO.
24. The awkward moment when you think of something really awesome to say, but the conversation has already moved on to a new topic.
25. When people try to make small talk with you and you can't even.
26. Always being referred to as 'the quiet one'.
27. Mentally preparing to make a phone call and rehearsing what you're going to say.
28. When you need to be completely alone so you can recharge and get back to being awesome.
29. When unwanted company finally leaves.
30. You have fantasised about slapping every person who talks to you when you have headphones in.
31. You can change from work/dress clothes to sweats in under thirty seconds.
32. Whoever came up with the idea of open plan offices needs to be shot.
33. Experiencing extreme anxiety when audience participation is requested at a live show.
34. Being exhausted after a weekend filled with social obligations.
35. Sending telepathic death rays to pushy sales assistants who won't leave you alone.
36. Online shopping is a miraculous invention.
37. Lack of enthusiasm for social events that lack alcohol.
38. You do your best work when you're alone.
39. Too many social obligations and no alone time = total grump.
40. When your ride at a party doesn't want to leave early and they don't understand your distress.
41. You make plans with no intention of keeping them.
Emma is just your average book loving, tea drinking, story writing, narcissistic millennial on an eternal quest for the perfect t-shirt. Ever since she picked up her first copy of Dolly when she was twelve, she always knew she wanted to work in magazines. She would describe herself as a bit of a hopeless romantic with an obsession for true crime and horror and a love for red wine, whiskey or a stiff gin and tonic. When she's not binge watching Netflix or buying things she can't afford online, she spends her weekends trawling through bookstores and eating her way through Brisbane.