The Shocking Truths
- Patience is a virtue.
- The secret is who you know not what you know.
- Time at Carriageworks is divided between waiting for shows and seeing shows.
- Bubbles are a must to survive, (particularly when your feet hurt).
- A spare battery pack, gum and a pair of sensible (within reason) heels will be your top, covetable, go –to items.
- Long days and long nights with minimum sleep are a reality.
- Rub shoulders with the best of the best.
- Sit opposite, next to or near the hottest names in fashion right now.
- Prepare to fight for a ride at the taxi rank.
- Even the most eloquent are vultures when it comes to gift bags and sitting front row.
- Industry professionals turn bitchy, catty and harsh. (It happens to the best of us)
- Winging and complaining will get one nowhere.
- Front row is an unforgiving podium -look your best, pay attention to detail and sit appropriately or half a show will see your knickers and mock you accordingly.
- 90% of street style photos taken of you look rubbish and leave you mortally embarrassed.
- 50% of attendees outfits are wearable high fashion, the other 50% look like Dorothy the Dinosaur or some other Disney costume.
- People will wear things that aren't supposed to be worn.
How to Survive Fashion Week like a Pro
- Foremost, take nothing to heart. Like they say – you can be the ripest juiciest peach in the world and there will still be somebody who hates peaches.
- Don't be put out by 4th row seating – fashion week sees the absolute best in the national (and sometimes international) industry at shows and there are a lot of them to fit into front and second row.
- Missing out on a gift bag is like missing out on a half empty sample-size bottle of hairspray, an old magazine issue and a lot of marketing spin – not a big deal by the end of the week.
- The champagne buzz is completely essential.
- Don't expect to have time to see local friends, go shopping, eat or do anything but hide away at Carriageworks.
- Your feet are going to hurt unless you wear Nikes – which is not OK – so you may as well wear the highest most amazing shoes you own.
- Finally, this is the biggest week of the year in Australian fashion – be thankful.
Images Courtesy of Sportmax