Many of us focus on what we put into our body - but what about what we put on it? Our skin is like a sponge: It absorbs up to 70% of what we slather on it, so it’s well worth making the switch to toxin-free products and getting glowy the natural way. These days, a growing number of skincare brands are infusing their products with superfoods that are proven to brighten, even out, and hydrate skin naturally.
Here, the beauty experts at Raww Cosmetics explain the benefits of natural skincare for dry skin - and share their all-time favourite product.
Two major reasons to switch to natural skincare
Over the past few years, natural skincare has made its way into the mainstream. The options used to be limited, but now there are plenty of beauty brands producing clean cosmetics that are just as effective as their commercial counterparts.
These are the two biggest reasons to make the switch to natural skincare:
1. It reduces your toxic load
Every day, our skin is exposed to pollutants that can clog and stress out our skin, like smoke, exhaust fumes and harsh cleaning products. Plus, most commercial skincare products are packed with toxic ingredients like parabens, fragrance, phthalates, and sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS).
This means that if you follow a standard multi-step skincare routine — like cleanser, serum, and moisturiser - you could be applying a chemical cocktail to your skin every day. Switching to natural products can seriously cut down the toxic load on your skin, and help it focus on filtering out external pollutants and environmental aggressors.
2. It’s gentler on the skin
Many synthetic ingredients in skincare are known to irritate, dry out, and damage your skin. For example, synthetic fragrance is an allergen that can cause dermatitis and skin sensitivity, while parabens can promote skin rashes. That’s not all: Polyethylene (often found in face scrubs) can irritate sensitive skin, and petroleum jelly can interfere with the skin’s moisturising mechanisms and leave it feeling dry and scaly.
And who wants that? Not us, that’s for sure! Natural products do away with the chemicals in favour of plant-derived, natural ingredients that nourish the skin.
The lowdown on superfoods for skin
Now that natural skincare is so popular, beauty brands have been playing around with new ways to improve their skincare lines. Enter: Superfood skincare.
These products are infused with the kind of superfoods you might stock up on during your weekly grocery shop, like berries and coconut oil. These nourishing natural ingredients are packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to nourish and strengthen your skin.
Give your skin the superfood skincare it deserves
At Raww Cosmetics, we’ve been big believers in natural skincare since day one. Our Super Hydrate-ME Night Cream has become a top-shelf favourite of beauty lovers around the world, and with good reason: Our skin regenerates overnight, and this natural night cream is the perfect final step for your natural skincare routine.
One of the best hydrating moisturisers around (in our opinion, at least!) it’s rich and nourishing, and seals in moisture for a more hydrated complexion in the morning. Better yet, this vegan night cream is packed with skin-loving superfoods:
● WildBerry Harvest™. A blend of three Australian berries (Riberry, Pepperberry, and Muntries), the WildBerry Harvest™ is clinically proven to quadruple your skin’s hydration levels! It’s also rich in antioxidants to speed up cell turnover and clarify the skin, leaving you with a bright, radiant, and clearer complexion.
● Mango Seed Butter. Think of the butter from this tropical fruit as a super moisturiser. It sinks into the skin without leaving a greasy residue, and soothes and softens. It also helps to reduce the bacteria that causes breakouts and protect the skin from pollution, such as smoke and smog.
● Apricot Kernel Oil. This lightweight oil moisturises dry, sensitive skin, and helps to smooth and firm skin so that it looks healthy, radiant, and plump.
● Acai Fruit Oil. Acai berries may be tiny, but don’t let their size fool you: They’re incredibly potent skincare ingredients. The oil they contain works to fight free radicals and combat the signs of premature ageing, and reduces pigmentation and age spots. Thanks to its high vitamin and fatty acid content, it also smooths and brightens skin.
For the best results, apply this hydrating night cream at night, after cleansing and applying serum. If you like, you can follow up with an eye cream to treat the delicate skin around the eyes.
Natural skincare is kind to your skin and the planet
Let’s face it: We all want healthy, radiant skin, but it shouldn’t come at a high health or environmental cost. For skincare and organic makeup that strikes the balance between all three and fits the bill for clean cosmetics perfectly, you can’t go past RAWW Cosmetics.
Written by RAWW Cosmetics