These beauty cheat tips will change your life...
Life's no easy walk in the park. With our never-ending lists, demanding careers, family commitments and the rest - it seems that most of the time we are running through life and forgetting to take any time to spoil ourselves. When things get chaotic the first thing to move down our priority list is our beauty regime.
There's no greater feeling of having your life together than when your skin is glowing, your nails are manicured and your hair is styled like a Victoria's Secret model. But time doesn't always permit and we're often left with chipped nail polish, pale skin and our hair thrown up in a messy bun.
But before summer creeps up on us, let's try and change some things to prevent the latter from haunting us. We spoke with the founder of Sydney’s newest spray tan salon Beach St, Lauren Capelin about beauty cheats for the time-poor woman and they're soooo good that we had to share it with you.
Left to right: Lauren Capelin and Giuliana Benedet
1) “A manicure in your lunch break is an absolute luxury, and most would agree that it’s simply not realistic. An at home mani will suffice provided you’re equipped with high-quality polish and a steady hand. Avoid ruining all your hard work in a matter of seconds with this sneaky tip – dip each hand in a bowl of ice water for one minute each to dry nails and go about your day with full use of your hands!”
2) “Many people agree that the signature sign of health, beauty and confidence is glowing, sun-kissed skin. However, most would agree that they do not have the time to lounge about on the beach all day building up a healthy glow – not to mention the health risks involved! A spray tan is the quickest, safest way to feel like your best self. Some of our customers swear they look 10kgs lighter after a spray!”
3) “Dry shampoo – enough said! This god-send should be in every busy woman’s bathroom cabinet and work drawer.”
4) “You were born with hands for a reason – use them! If you’re in a hurry, put your brushes away and apply eyeshadow with your index finger, blush with two fingers (moving in a circular motion on the apples of your cheeks) and foundation with all four fingers. Most beauty-lovers are either for or against using fingers over brushes or beauty blenders. The big pro of applying foundation with the hands is that the heat from our skin melts the product and allows it to be applied smoothly and seamlessly.”
5) “A fabulous winged eye can be the bane of a woman’s existence, evidenced by the amount of memes online stating ‘Never ask a woman with winged eyeliner why she is late’. You’ll have no excuse for not being punctual if you use a small amount of sticky tape applied along the eye. It acts as a guide to ensure your liner is straight, even, and going in the right direction. You can be as messy as you want as the excess ink will fall on the tape.”
6) “The worst thing to realise before a hot date is that you’ve forgotten to shave your legs. Thank goodness for on-the-go shaving cream! You can simply apply the cream and shave in five minutes flat. Always avoid dry shaving, even in dire situations, because it can cause serious skin irritation.”
7) “Embrace the 2-in-1 or even 3-in-1 nature of some beauty products. Most nude eyeshadows with a shimmer make excellent highlighter and illuminator for cheekbones and cupid bows. Glossy pink or orange-toned lipsticks make for creamy, lasting blushes and a clean mascara brush works as a brow brush in a pinch!”
8) “My new favourite thing is micellar water. Some nights cleansing the face just seems like far too much effort and it’s easy to fall into the trap of sleeping with your make-up on which most people know is torture for the skin. Simply apply micellar water to a beauty pad and swipe over the face.”
9) “Limit salon visits by investing in a product such as the Beach St Body Conditioner. It extends the life of your spray tan or, if used daily, you can build a gradual glow.”
10) “If you know you have an event the following day (or you just feel like looking fabulous, no event necessary), sleep with your hair in braids for easy, wavy in the morning. For a less dramatic look, twist your hair into two Princess Leia-style buns and spray each with sea salt spray. This will result in a beachy effect and you can literally say you did just ‘wake up like this’.”